Musical Mid-Semester Mental Health Check-In

ChathamU senior Chenoa Baker shares her tips on how she navigates mental health in college through song titles, explains the mid-semester slump, and points readers to helpful resources. We hope that all Chatham students include radical self-care into their lifestyles. 

You made it through the first full month of school. But before you can celebrate, you find it’s harder to make time for yourself, and you hit the mid-semester slump. The mid-semester slump is when you may lose some momentum because you are deep in some already difficult courses, but far away from the end of the semester. This year’s is unique because not only is it academically rigorous, but it is also emotionally, spiritually, mentally, and physically challenging because of the coronavirus pandemic and multiple instances of police brutality in the world. If that ain’t enough, this year is an election year. With all of this going on, it is important to prioritize your mental health. All circumstances will pass, but you remain. Rejuvenating your mental health is a lifelong process, but I’ve got some tips (inspired by song titles) to get you started this semester:

“You Got Me” by The Roots

This song is all about leaning into your support system. While they may not know or need to know every detail of your life, there is great healing in community. Therefore, make sure to hang out with friends, trauma talk (dumping what’s going on with you verbally) if you need, and delegate group tasks. An example of delegating group tasks is by switching who initiates hang outs sometimes and take time to do both the talking and listening.

“Keep Ya Head Up” by 2Pac

“Keep Ya Head Up” seems obvious and almost patronizing, but there is some truth to it. It reminds us to think optimistically and not live downcast. Let’s be real, emotions are valid, but they can betray you. If you are not feeling the best one day and you are in the corner in a fetal position because you’re anxious (I’ve been there), the emotional responses can consume you. Make sure you choose to survive each day, even when dealing with very real diagnoses of anxiety, depression, PTSD, and many other things. This is very helpful when test anxiety has you down, or you feel like you are failing because you can’t juggle all your tasks.

“What’s Going On” by Marvin Gaye

This song speaks to our environment-- this environment is filled with chaos, confusion, pandemics, and wild news coverage. Hearing this song reminds me to limit my media consumption and work towards healing myself before healing the environment around me. Mid-semester oozes with stress and tension; instead of giving into it, invest in yourself. Some great ways to invest in yourself is through yoga, religious practices, taking stretch breaks, splurging on some good food, journaling, sleeping more, and conserving your energy when circumstances try to test your patience.

“I Gotta Find Peace of Mind” by Lauryn Hill

Finding peace of mind is a constant act of resistance. The vibe of this song reminds me that it is something to strive for every day. Ask yourself these questions honestly: how am I feeling, why am I feeling this way, how can I connect with community to preserve peace in my life, and what distractions do I need to eliminate? Continue daily reflection and affirmation.

“Bag Lady” by Erykah Badu

With the spirit of this song, release the extra weight that you are carrying. This means seeking therapy to work through trauma, saying “no” when you need to, and not letting the weight of things make you stop taking care of yourself. Ask yourself: What are the extra bags that you are carrying?

“I Will Survive” by Gloria Gaynor

Let this song be your mantra. Do what you need to do to get through this tough time. If that means making a coping kit of knickknacks, songs (like me), and facetime calls with family, do it! Surviving is such a radical and personal act. Do not push yourself too hard on account of things you cannot control like white supremacist capitalist patriarchy and coronavirus (for those sharp readers, you will notice that redundancy). Unfortunately, those structures will be there if you are or not. Therefore, take breaks, speak up, and pick your battles. 

I hope that these tips help you navigate the rest of the semester. You got this! I am sending all the positive energy and support virtually. Also, for more information and assistance, visit the following links: Chatham University’s Counseling Services, National Directory of Therapists of Color, LGBTQIA affirming therapists in Pittsburgh and National Queer and Trans Therapists of Color Network.

Chenoa Baker

Chenoa Baker ’21 majors in cultural studies and minors in art history and museum studies. With her degree at Chatham University she plans to be a writer and curator of Black Modern and contemporary art. She forges new research disciplines within visual critical studies on “Northern” and “Southern” identity, as well as defining propagandist art movements. Follow her on LinkedIn and Instagram.

Previous
Previous

Top Ten Spots for Fall Photo Fun

Next
Next

Student Profile: Merdith Spahic