Meet the CSG Class of 2025

Chatham Student Government (CSG) is an integral group of students on campus who work to both bring the student body together and advocate for their needs. We spoke with three of CSG’s newest elected members—Sophia DeMatteo, Jackson Adkins, and Aidan Bobik—to learn more about what brought them to CSG, their aspirations, and what’s in the works for the Class of 2025.

Sophia DeMatteo

(she/her)

Major: Criminology & Psychology

Hometown: South Park, PA

Role: Secretary

Why did you decide to join CSG?

I have always taken pride in being an active member of whatever community I am in, and my experiences with this campus community have been no different! I love Chatham, and I feel very grateful to be here, so I will do anything I can to be more involved and continue to improve the school environment. I’m grateful to be involved in CSG, and I am excited to be able to work to improve a school that I feel immensely passionate about.

What do you hope to do with your role in CSG?

I hope to be a resource for other students. I would really like to be someone that my peers feel they can reach out to and vocalize their opinions to. We are nothing if not a voice for the students, so I really want to build that rapport and become a trustworthy resource for everyone.

What’s in the works for the Class of 2025 through CSG?

We have been working diligently on an initiative that specializes in sexual health. We have been in contact with student health services to provide resources and aid to students in need, and to diminish the stigma around its importance.

What are your goals for the future?

I’ve been interested in criminal justice from a very young age, and I hope to one day be able to pursue a career within this field. Primarily, though, I simply hope to be happy with my job and pleased with the life I’ve made for myself. I also want to be well-traveled and feel truly fulfilled.

Jackson Adkins

(he/him)

Major: Management Information Systems, Minor in Data Science

Hometown: St. Paul, MN

Role: Vice President

Why did you decide to join CSG?

I decided to join CSG because I have done a lot of equity and equal opportunity/social awareness work in my own communities in Minnesota, and wanted to bring some of my experience and knowledge to Chatham.

I hope to create an inclusive, respectful, and open-minded community for everyone that chose Chatham, no matter who they are, where they come from, or how they were raised.

There is a limited amount I can say, but we are working to get rid of the big white tent in front of the Mellon Board Room, and adding sexual health products to the front rooms of campus dormitories.

What has been your favorite part of the Chatham experience thus far?

Though 6:00 am practices (and 4:30 am wake ups) have been a little rough, I have loved playing lacrosse and getting closer with my teammates

What are your goals for the future?

I hope to graduate from Chatham, and maybe pursue a graduate degree in computer science from Pitt or CMU. Then I’m not really sure what I want to do, but my dream is to buy my mom a house in the Outer Banks in North Carolina

Aidan Bobik

(he/him)

Major: Policy Studies

Hometown: Kersey, PA

Role: Treasurer

Why did you decide to join CSG? 

I joined CSG because I had positive experiences with similar organizations in high school and wanted the opportunity to serve and represent our class.

My main goal is to help increase participation in CSG, as well as improving the structure of the organization to facilitate effectiveness. Students, both on and off CSG, have great ideas, but I truly believe they can only come about through an effective and participatory structure. I’d also like to continue to improve diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives on campus, advocate for student-workers, and challenge injustice on and off-campus. If anyone ever has any ideas, concerns, or suggestions, reach out to me! I’m always interested and here to help.

Thus far, as a class council, we’ve focused our efforts on our sexual health project—getting sexual health products in the dorms. Other than that, each of us has been active in CSG in different ways. For my part, I’ve been working in my role on UBC to discuss possible ways to improve participation in the budgeting process at Chatham.

I’ve enjoyed getting to know all that there is to do on and off-campus. I especially enjoyed the Packing and Cracking interactive performance here on campus. I also loved the American Democracy exhibit at the Heinz History Center, where you get a discount as a Chatham student, so I’d highly recommend checking the museum out!

What are your goals for the future?

I haven’t nailed anything down yet, but I’ve considered going into either labor organizing or civic engagement. Otherwise, I want to continue learning, exploring interests, and generally doing what I like.

Learn more about the ways you can get involved on campus by checking out our Student Organization Spotlights!

Previous
Previous

Getting a Little Creative— A New Intergenerational Living Partnership between Chatham and Vincentian Schenley Gardens

Next
Next

Recent Grad 101: Laura Conner